Friday, October 10, 2008

The Showers Saga - 4 (originally posted Dec 21/07)

(Funny ... I thought we were up to more than four ...)

ENORMOUS news earlier this week! Andrew Sheret, Ltd., which has been in business, providing bathrooms to British Columbians, since 1892, is donating the showers we need! Barry and I had been discussing our next moves, and the next pressing need is the showers themselves. So the Lord gave me a nudge, and said, "Andrew Sheret". Of course!

Back in 1992, when I was at CFAX Victoria, I was called on to MC Andrew Sheret's 100th anniversary dinner (http://www.sheret.com). The company struck me as one class act (partly because they paid me for the gig -- something virtually unheard of in Victoria!), and really, you can't stay in business 115 years if you don't have some kind of integrity. I hadn't had any dealings with them since then, but I called their head office in Victoria, wound up talking to the president, Brian Findlay. He remembered me; I emailed him the proposal; he said "yes" without hesitation!

Another brother has stepped up to the plate to provide all the soap and shampoo, and donations of towels are coming in for Kathleen's "Towel Mania" -- she's in charge of organizing that, and she and her son will be pushing that forward, when school goes back in in January.

And we still have to get pledges to cover the operating costs. 30 people pledging $50 a month will do the job, and it's all tax-deductible. They can be sent to Gospel Mission, PO Box 57151, Vancouver, BC V5K 1Z1.

No comments: